The Film and Video Arts Society of Alberta
Mission & Vision
The Film and Video Arts Society of Alberta is a not-for-profit, charitable, member-based society that exists to facilitate and support affordable access to the production, exhibition, distribution, and preservation of independent film, video and screen media art in Northern Alberta.
To become the Canadian arts organization that all others are measured by in terms of inclusion, partnership and community.
To provide affordable access to industry-standard film/video equipment, services and training to everyone interested in on-screen media art.
To build a financially sustainable organization while growing its relevance to provide staff and members with a future.
To provide a space for diverse communities to produce and create representations on their own terms.
- Recognition of the rights of all individuals with mutual respect; acceptance of others without biases based on differences of any kind.
- Integrity, honesty and good stewardship in all we do.
- Empower all members and community to create.
- Nurture a community of trust, respect, mentorship and support.
- Commitment to the growth of the organization and the members we serve.
- Always try to find a way to say “yes.”
- To benefit the public and contribute to the cultural opportunities available to all members of the community through the presentation of independent Canadian film, video, and media arts.
- To promote an appreciation for the aesthetic value of artistic works by Canadian artists in the areas of film, video and media arts.
- To educate, train, and develop skills in film, video, and media arts in its members and wider community.
- To promote and assist in the production of Canadian independent film, video, and media arts.
- To develop and sustain a media distribution system for Alberta media artists and the wider national community.
- To develop and sustain a media arts library of Alberta media art, and to create and maintain archival partnerships to permanently collect these works.
- To do all other ancillary to the above-noted objects including to give grants, lease lands, sell, manage, lease, mortgage, dispose of and otherwise provide and deal in and with equipment and other various objects and to raise money by a variety of methods including casinos, exhibitions and direct solicitation.
We pursue these objectives through the following goals:
- acquiring and maintaining a large pool of equipment for the creation, screening and transmission of media art, at discounted rates for independent artistic endeavors;
- developing our members as artists and crafts people, through classes, workshops, networking, and mentorship opportunities;
- disseminating our members’ work through our two annual media arts festivals – FAVA FEST and the Gotta Minute Film Festival;
- distributing media art through our online arts broadcast and distribution initiative FAVA TV;
- communicating with our members and the general public through our website at www.fava.ca, our e-bulletin, and social media.
- supporting member projects directly, with modest cash, equipment and services grants
- commissioning new work;
- developing and maintaining internal library resources to collect the works of our membership and the greater Alberta media arts community through FAVA TV and AMS.