Become a member today to gain all the benefits of this community
The FAVA membership is a community of emerging and established film, video, and media artists.
Being a member provides many benefits including:
- Access to register in FAVA classes and workshops
- Special members only rate for paid public workshops
- Access to ongoing Free-For-All Workshops
- Subsidized rates on equipment rentals (up 75% less compared to commercial rates)
- Affordable equipment and liability insurance
- Free hi-resolution archiving and distribution support from FAVATV
- Subsidized rates on studio rentals
- First to know about FAVA Events
- Networking opportunities for future collaborations and friendships
- Volunteer and paid opportunities in support of FAVA services & member projects
- Earn FAVA $20 bucks per volunteer hour. FAVA Bucks can be used to pay for up to 50% of your rental invoice.
- FAVA Members submission fees are waived for FAVA festivals and screenings.
FAVA equipment and studio discounts only apply to projects where the artist owns all the intellectual property of the project (not commercial projects).
Rentals & Studios Office is in Room 381B. The quickest access is by entering from the North Parkade entrance (access from the alley) and taking a left. The West Entrance on 156 St in the turnaround is the default pickup location for taxis or Ubers.
FAVA has five levels of active membership: Associate, General, Producer, Lifetime and Student. These levels are designed to reflect your productiveness, competence on equipment and level of commitment and service to the co-op. Everyone starts at the Associate Level, unless you are a student member. All memberships expire September 30th of each year. Brand new members pay a one-time prorated rate.
Cost: $85.00 + GST per year
This is the first level of membership for everyone. Associate membership is available to anyone. Like all the other membership levels, this provides members with access to equipment, studios, workshops, classes and events. The one difference is that Associate and Student members are not allowed to vote at AGMs.
First-time Indigenous Members
As part of FAVA’s program to increase accessibility and support to Alberta’s Indigenous community, we will be waiving the membership fee for any first year member who self identifies as Indigenous.
Cost: $40 +GST
Student Membership is available to members who are currently enrolled in a recognized educational institution. Like all the other membership levels, this provides members with access to equipment, studios, workshops, classes and events. The one difference is that Associate and Student members are not allowed to vote at AGMs.
Cost: $65.00 + GST per year
To upgrade from Associate to General Membership, you must be a member in good standing and have volunteered a minimum of 24 hours in the last year. It must also be demonstrated that you have been involved with the creation of a completed work since becoming a member, either independently or through a FAVA class.
Cost: $40.00 + GST per year
To upgrade your General Membership to a Producer Membership, you must be a member in good standing, having volunteered a minimum of 24 hours in the last year, have made a significant volunteer commitment to FAVA (for instance, through extensive participation on the Board of Directors or a Standing Committee), and be accredited on basic FAVA equipment. Producer Members must have completed a body of work through FAVA. They must serve as consultants to other members within a reasonable capacity.
This designation is for those members who have demonstrated exceptional contribution to the organization and have produced a substantial body of work. Candidates for Lifetime Membership are selected by the Board of Directors.
Organizational Code of Conduct
Respect, Support, Inclusion
FAVA is committed to fostering a vibrant and inclusive community, in which all emerging and established media artists feel encouraged and supported in their unique artistic practices. To that end, we ask that all members adhere to FAVA’s code of conduct when participating in FAVA events, workshops, and classes, and in all other interactions that take place on FAVA premises.
- Equitable treatment of others regardless of race, ancestry, place of origin, color, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, or ability
- Respect for the bodily autonomy of others
- Consideration of the emotional needs and boundaries of others
- Commitment to a supportive and respectful environment that values difference, freedom of expression, and critical discourse
Behavior that will not be tolerated:
- Hateful, sexist, or discriminatory speech (including audiovisual materials that endorses hateful and discriminatory viewpoints)
- Harassment of community members, board, or staff
- Physical or sexual assault
- Sustained disruption of community events
- Unlawful behaviour
Behavior that violates our code of conduct may be subject to any of the following actions:
- Verbal or written warning
- Suspension of member privileges (i.e., ejection from an event, workshop, or FAVA facilities)
- Termination of membership
- Legal Action
Members are encouraged to solve problems with other members collaboratively, rather than through conflict. If a conflict cannot be resolved collaboratively, concerns should be brought to one of the following individuals:
- Workshop instructor or event facilitator
- The Director of Programming and Membership
- The Executive Director
Become A Member / Renew Your Membership
All new members begin at the Associate membership level.
Annual Membership fees are due September 30th and can be paid in cash, debit, cheque, MasterCard or Visa. Membership prices are pro-rated for new members only. New members, please contact the main office to find out the rate for the month you are signing up for membership.
You can become a member right now by filling out the form below or download and fill out our membership form and mail it along with a cheque or come by in person between 10 am and 6 pm, Monday to Friday.
All memberships expire September 30th of each year. New members receive a pro-rated rate starting in December.
Consent from a parent or legal guardian is required for members under the age of 18.
- Youth Members are required to fulfill 6 hours of volunteer time annually for FAVA.
- Youth Members do NOT have after hours access privileges; no exceptions.
- Youth members will receive member rates on equipment and programs.
- Rental of gear is based on experience with the equipment and approval of use is subject to the discretion FAVA Production. These terms are in alignment with the terms used for all FAVA members.