The Film and Video Arts Society of Alberta (FAVA) is seeking a new Executive Director. FAVA is a 37-year non-profit media arts collective serving a diverse membership focussed in Central and Northern Alberta.
The Executive Director is responsible for day to day administration, fund development and maintaining and growing the organization’s relationships. The Executive Director reports to and is responsible to the FAVA Board of Directors. A full job description is given below.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leadership, team management, communication, and relational skills, including the ability to lead a diverse team. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with the Alberta arts and culture scene, especially as it relates to not-for-profits. This would include a comprehensive understanding of media arts and awareness of the current trends, activities, and developments in media arts on a national and international level. As the prime contact and public face of FAVA, the candidate should have had experiences in public relations.
Strong organizational skills and the ability to reach short-term and long-term goals aimed at achieving the long-term vision of the society along with a proven ability to manage an organization’s finances would be expected. An undergraduate degree (or equivalent or higher) in a field relative to this posting would be desirable.
This position is located in the offices of FAVA’s headquarters in Edmonton, Alberta with hours in the range of 24 – 32 / week. Salary is in the range of $41,000 – $71,000 annually commensurate with the applicant’s qualifications and experience. The Executive Director position includes a generous benefits package, including pension matching.
Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: April 19, 2019
Interview candidates will be contacted by email no later than April 30, 2019
The Executive Director’s duties include but are not limited to:
- Administration, Management & Overall Vision:
- managing the overall operations of the co-op including staff supervision, grant writing, fundraising, advocacy and relations with outside organizations and individuals
- ensuring a smooth flow of communication both internally and externally
- being involved with creative initiatives as arranged with the board
- supervising FAVA’s bookkeeping system, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payrolls, bank deposits and the financial management of FAVA assets
- being responsible for the creation, administration and reporting of FAVA’s annual operating budget – as advised and approved by the Board of Directors
- managing contracts
- ensuring the maintenance and security of FAVA facilities.
- Coordination of FAVA operations:
- In consultation and collaboration with the directors of FAVA’s various departments eg. Programming, Production, Membership Services, FAVA TV, and Collections, the Executive Director establishes and implements long and short term strategies for FAVA’s operations. This is to be done in dialogue with FAVA’s Board, committees, staff and membership.
- to liase with funding groups and agencies to develop and maintain FAVA’s good relations with these agencies
- identifying and maintaining a list of appropriate private and governmental funding and granting agencies which support the overall operations, production and programming of FAVA
- preparing applications for funding from the private sector, government funders and private foundations that support FAVA’s operations, production and programming
- investigating new and alternative forms of revenue for FAVA in consultation with the FAVA Board of Directors.
- Management, Meetings, Networking:
- assisting the Board in the coordination of all staff duties and responsibilities in order to maintain the smooth functioning of the overall operation
- assisting the Board with yearly staff evaluations and makes recommendations
- working with the FAVA Board of Directors and the department directors to establish long term and day to day strategies and goals for FAVA
- to liase with other media arts and arts organizations locally, provincially and nationally
- attending and participating regularly in Production, Programming, Fundraising and Financial Committee meetings – providing pertinent financial information as required
- attending all monthly FAVA Board meetings and bi-annual membership meetings and providing regular reports including pertinent financial information on the organization and the departments.
- Responsibility and Reporting:
The Executive Director works in cooperation with FAVA’s membership, staff members and the FAVA Board of Directors to ensure that the cooperative’s business is conducted as smoothly, efficiently and as practically as possible. This will entail:
- reporting to the Board as required
- creating projected budgets and year-end reports
- developing long and short term strategic plans, as advised
- preparing financial reports – monthly or as agreed upon with the board.
- Member Services:
Along with other FAVA staff and Board members, the Executive Director
- provides members with information and guidance regarding their media projects and proposals
- provides information for FAVA’s publications and the FAVA website
- completes such duties as are assigned from time to time by the Board of Directors.